A rewarding career that fits your life. Those who have joined the Banner mission come from all walks of life, united by the common goal: Make health care easier, so life can be better. If changing health care for the better sounds like something you want to be part of, apply today.
The Women, Infants and Pediatric Services Department at Banner Ironwood Medical Center focused on providing family centered care. The Women and Infants Services are all in one department specialized for a family-centered healing environment. Level II facility with 24-hour coverage provided by Obstetricians, Certified Nurse Midwives, Neonatologists, and Neonatal Nurse Practitioners; in addition to 24 hour in-house coverage by Anesthesia. There is a Certified Lactation Consultant to help support breastfeeding along with the observation of the "Golden Hour" at birth where baby is skin to skin with mom for bonding. This unit serves low to moderate risk patients with private rooms, Labor, delivery, and recovery for vaginal deliveries all in the same LDR room, approximately 90 deliveries per month, two OR suites for scheduled and unscheduled cesarean sections, and additional operative procedures in the immediate postpartum period, room service for meal delivery. We have 8 LDR rooms, each with a special area just for the family support, 2 OR suites, 2 bed PACU, 4 bed triage unit, 6 bed Special Care Nursery, and 23 Postpartum rooms. We currently have a 4-bed pediatric observation unit with oversight by a pediatric hospitalist with expansion planned soon.
As a SeniorSurgical Technician in the Labor and Delivery unit, you will have the opportunity to care for women experiencing childbirth in a supportive level II environment. This is a part-timeday shift position. Weekend rotations are required in this role. Enjoy a flat rate $1/hour weekend shift differential.
Banner Ironwood Medical Center is committed to meeting the ever-changing needs of the southeast communities of metropolitan Phoenix. Our first patient tower has 47 beds, including eight LDR rooms and can accommodate up to 86 beds when fully equipped. We also feature a full service emergency department, four surgical suites and medical imaging services. With our 80-acre campus, more than 500 beds and supporting health services could be built on our site. This means an exceptional opportunity for you to establish a career where the potential for growth is limitless.
POSITION SUMMARY This position selects and places surgical instruments, supplies and equipment during surgery. Scrubs and provides instruments, sutures, and other sterile supplies during surgical procedure. Participants in the training and orientation of surgical technology staff and students, as assigned. Is proficient to scrub on a minimum of 2 surgical specialties.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Prepares for surgical procedures. Pulls appropriate instruments and supplies and ensures good working order of instruments. Reviews case carts for correct instruments and supplies. Troubleshoots malfunctioning equipment and makes minor adjustments or calls biomedical equipment staff. Checks schedule and plans ahead for upcoming surgical case needs.
2. Anticipates the surgeon's needs. Passes instruments, retracts tissue and operates equipment during surgery. Maintains competency to scrub in a minimum of 2 surgical specialties.
3. Demonstrates the principles of aseptic technique and universal precautions throughout the procedure. Disposes of sharps and trash and places used supplies into case cart for processing. Participates in counting sharps, instruments and sponges. Prepares instruments for cleaning following each case.
4. Ensures that all surgeon preference cards and pick lists are accurate.
5. Assists with OR turnover between cases. Participates in stocking, replenishing supplies and cleaning operating rooms.
6. Participants in or leads the training and orientation of surgical technology staff and students, as assigned.
7. May provide business support to the department including administravie tasks.
8. This position follows safety procedures in regards to medication labeling, appropriate handling of specimens, appropriate handling of sharps, time-out procedure, radiation and laser safety, infection control, assembling and disassembling instruments. Participates in emergency call rotation. Is proficient to scrub on at least 2 surgical specialties. Internal customers are patients, surgeons, and nursing staff. External customers may include practicing physicians, patient families and vendors or sales reps.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS High school diploma/GED or equivalent working knowledge and current basic life support certification, also required is current certification as a surgical technologist.
Where applicable must be registered with State Regulatory Agency
This position requires skills and abilities typically attained with 2 or more years of operating room experience and must be able to scrub proficiently on a minimum of 2 surgical specialties. The position requires manual dexterity and the ability to maintain professional decorum in highly stressful emergent situations. The position requires the ability to be conscientious, organized, and orderly and the ability to respond quickly to the needs of the surgeon and patient. Must stay abreast of new developments in the field.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS Graduation from an accredited school of surgical technology is highly preferred.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
What might draw you to Banner Health? A great health care career, of course—and a great place to live, no matter what stage of life you’re in. With facilities across the West, there is a health care career for everyone, from big city living in the Phoenix area to friendly small towns in the mountains and plains. As one of the largest nonprofit health systems in the country, Banner Health offers both the stability that comes with success and the possibility of exploring new areas of the country. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages:
Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health.
Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible.
The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path.
Competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.