Job Summary: Answer referral calls and conducts the preliminary screening relating to the identification and documentation of donors or potential donors to determine medical suitability. Facilitate organ placement and relay accurate and timely information to the appropriate transplant centers.
1. Actively contributes to CDS’ core purpose, Making Donation Happen. Exhibits CDS’ mission to maximize the gift of organ and tissue donation by providing excellent service to internal and external customers. • Performs job functions in alignment with clarity message • Follows CDS policies, procedures and standards • Actively promotes a harmonious work environment • Consistently demonstrates team building and effective communications
2. Triages Organ, Tissue, and Eye referrals in a manner that demonstrates quality customer service. • Applies knowledge of medical criteria in performing donor triage and evaluation • Reviews electronic medical records and demonstrates problem solving skills to recover necessary information for suitability determination • Demonstrates initiative and skill in identifying all donation opportunities • Negotiates effectively with medical and nursing staff in management of referrals • Notifies the appropriate CDS staff of consented donors in a timely manner
3. Maintains electronic medical record (EMR) access to all available hospitals • Utilizes medical information from remote or onsite EMR access to obtain and review available medical records • Maintains confidentiality of all patient and donor/recipient information
4. Communicates with Medical Examiners/Coroners/Investigators. • Demonstrates effective communication skills in interacting with Medico-Legal staff • Uses appropriate terminology and language during conversations • Demonstrates ability to actively listen • Obtains release for Organ, Tissue, and/or Eyes
5. Completes referral documentation completely and accurately. • Adheres to standards for communications and documentation • Documents case related data accurately and in a timely manner • Submits accurate documentation and paperwork on time
6. Facilitates organ placement • Communicates with surgeons, transplant centers and UNOS to allocate kidneys for transplant • Fields electronic organ offers for local transplant centers • Arranges transport of organs and cross matching material to accepting transplant centers • Exhibits superior ability maintaining accuracy, prioritizing and meeting deadlines while managing multiple tasks
7. Utilizes supplies and materials in an efficient and cost effective manner. • Complies with CDS policy • Maintains clean, safe and organized CDS work space
8. Complies with quality assurance policies and procedures. • Collects documentation in donor record and organizes material according to policy • Ensures confidentiality of donor information and files
9. Contacts by telephone/pager the appropriate CDS staff on potential organ donor referrals.
10. Performs other duties as assigned by the Manager of Donor Services Center.
Physical Requirements: Sitting, standing, occasional lifting up to thirty pounds, finger dexterity, eye-hand coordination, and visual acuity
Work Environment: fast-paced call center environment, with the occasional travel
Education: Associates Degree with a concentration in healthcare field or related and/or 2-3 years’ experience in a clinical (or commensurate) environment such as EMT, Paramedic, RN, or LPN
Licensure, Certification, and/or Registration: not applicable
Skills and Qualifications: Demonstrated interpersonal and communication skills, demonstrated knowledge of medical terminology, ability to analyze and interpret data, knowledge of word processing and database programs, commitment to organ and tissue donation
Internal Number: 1
About Carolina Donor Services
Carolina Donor Services is the federally designated organ procurement organization serving 6.1 million people in 79 counties of North Carolina and Danville, Virginia. Our service area includes 102 hospitals, and four transplant centers that perform heart, lung, liver, kidney, and pancreas transplants.
Our team of dedicated professionals work diligently to increase the awareness of the need for organ and tissue donors and to deliver the most sensitive approach to organ and tissue donation. We perform public and professional education, as well as coordinate the entire organ and tissue donation process.