Job title: Donor Services Representative
Reports to: Supervisor, Donor Services Representatives
FLSA Exemption: Non Exempt
Acts as a triage representative receiving and coordinating incoming donor referrals for organ, eye and tissue donation; participates in processes that ensures the Donor Services Center call is appropriately staffed and operational 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
Duties and responsibilities
• Receives referrals via telephone or web-based communication regarding potential organ, eye and tissue donors from entities within the local Donor Service Area (DSA) as well as from outside the local DSA including partner agencies contracted with UMTB Donor Services Foundation.
• Forward all ventilated patient referrals to Life Alliance Organ Recovery Agency (LAORA) Case Management Coordinators and Donor Referral Responders. Enters all cardiac deaths reported in iTransplant, documents all required referral information and evaluates for potential tissue and/or eye donation suitability by utilizing acceptance criteria provided by UMTB Donor Services Foundation, and UMTB partner agencies; provides that initial suitability determination to the referring hospital/entity.
• When appropriate, assists Donor Management Coordination team, in evaluating potential donor suitability and facilitating the donation. Examples include, making request to obtain medical records, coordinating efforts with hospital lab to secure pre-transfused blood samples or culture or biopsy results, securing body location, confirming potential donor was placed in the refrigerated portion of morgue and screening potential donor with management and/or administrator on call.
• Communicates with outside parties, such as medical examiner staff, funeral home staff, transportation companies, law enforcement and EMS personnel as necessary to facilitate donor recoveries.
• Completes all necessary documentation associated with the organ and tissue databases and/or charts within established timeframes.
• Works with the Quality Assurance Departments of UMTB and recovery partner agencies to ensure that all documentation is accurate.
• Assists in training new staff.
• Assists with data collection for any organizational projects.
• Performs any other duties/tasks as assigned by the Supervisors and/or Manager of the Donor Services Center.
• A minimum of two years of experience in emergency medical services, healthcare studies, biology, medical office/healthcare; or two years of experience as LPN, NREMT-P.
• Knowledge of basic medical terminology and human anatomy.
• Excellent typing, data-entry and computer skills including web-based communications.
• Excellent telephone/communication skills.
• Enthusiastic, customer-service oriented person capable of working without direct supervision.
• Able to work varying around-the-clock shifts.
• CTBS preferred or must be obtained within two years of employment in order to be considered for career advancement.
Call Center environment
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job any time.
UMTB Biomedical, a Vivex Company, is an equal opportunity employer (EEO) and expressly prohibits any form of workplace discrimination and/or harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
UMTB Biomedical, A Vivex Company complies with the Americans with Disability Act (ADA) which prohibits discrimination against qualified individuals with disabilities who, with or without reasonable accommodation, can perform the essential functions of a job.