Carolina Donor Services is seeking a Director of Tissue Services. This position will be located in Carolina Services’ Durham office.
Carolina Donor Services (CDS), with three offices in Winston-Salem, Durham, and Greenville, North Carolina covers 77 counties in North Carolina as well as Danville, Virginia. With a rich history dating back to 1985, the non-profit organization remains true to its mission statement, “Carolina Donor Services maximizes the passing of the heroic gift of life from one human being to another through organ and tissue donation”.
Carolina Donor Services works with donor families, hospitals, and transplant centers across the state to maximize organ and tissue donation.
The CDS Director of Tissue Services provides management and oversight to the Manager of Donor Services Center, Manager of Tissue Services, Funeral Home Liaison, and Tissue Clinical Trainer. Responsibilities of this position include: personnel management; assuring appropriate levels of staffing; administrative support for member requests and operational issues; oversight of quality assurance activities and assigned departmental projects; and assisting with departmental planning. The Director of Tissue Services has the primary responsibility for all activities relating to tissue donation.
1. Actively contributes to CDS’ core purpose, Making Donation Happen. Exhibits CDS’ mission to maximize the gift of organ and tissue donation by providing excellent service to internal and external customers.
• Performs job functions in alignment with clarity message
• Follows CDS policies, procedures and standards
• Actively promotes a harmonious work environment
• Consistently demonstrates team building and effective communications
2. Directs the Manager of Donor Services Center and the Manager of Tissue Donation.
i. Assures adequate staffing of the Donor Services Center and Tissue Departments 24 hours each day, 365 days each year. Shift scheduling and maintaining on-call resources is a requirement of the position.
ii. Monitors the performance of staff and performs annual performance reviews
iii. Provides the first level of management for any personnel issues, consulting with the Vice President/Chief Operating Officer as needed. Interviewing, hiring and disciplinary actions are responsibilities of this position.
3. Maintains departmental procedures.
• Oversight and primary management activities of the daily Donor Services Center and Tissue Services operations to maximize the number of organs and tissues recovered and transplanted
• Oversight and direction of the Funeral Home Liaison to ensure strong relationships with funeral homes within CDS’ DSA
• Discretion to create or modify departmental procedures with the consultation of the Vice President/Chief Operating Officer or other pertinent management resources
• Assures compliance with local, state and federal regulations, and professional standards related to Donor Services Center and Tissue Recovery
• Takes administrative call for the Tissue staff
• Apprises the Vice President/Chief Operating Officer of administrative and operational issues
4. Responsible for the educational development of Donor Services Center, Tissue staff, and Funeral Home Liaison.
• Manages effective training, and documentation of such training, and provides environment for continuous learning, professional development and quality improvement
• Plans and holds Division staff meetings
• Reports new information and procedures to staff
• Plans educational opportunities for staff
• Assists in staff development
• Oversees and participates in the training of newly hired staff members
5. Maintains Donor Services Center and Tissue quality assurance efforts.
• Researches written and audio case records upon hospital’s request
• Oversight and follow-up of daily case and data entry audits
6. Provides oversight to Materials Management and assists the Manager of Tissue Services in providing
supplies needed for organ and tissue recoveries.
7. Manages special projects and research efforts on request.
8. Meets agreed upon goals and objectives effectively and in a timely manner.
9. Required to take light clinical call duties as required during periods of sickness, staffing shortages,
10. Participates on CDS Executive Leadership Team.